Donate a Dog
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AS OUR POLICIES HAVE CHANGED.
If you would like to donate a service dog prospect to VSD, please read below and complete the form at the bottom. A VSD representative will contact you after your eligibility has been determined. Please answer honestly.
Victory Service Dogs Dog Donation Disclaimer
To ensure that dogs accepted into the Victory Service Dogs training program are of the highest quality, dogs that do not meet the VSD requirements will NOT be considered.
VSD Dog Donation Requirements
- Dog must be 1 year old or younger
- Dog must be a Labrador, Golden Retriever, Poodle or Poodle Mix (Labradoodle, Goldendoodle or Sheepadoodle only)
- Dog must be AKC Registered and thoroughly health tested (all paperwork must be provided)
- Hip & Elbows through PENNhip, OFA, or both
- Eyes through CERF
- Heart Certification through OFA
Dogs that will not be considered for our program:
- dogs that are over the age of one
- dogs that do not fit the breeds listed above
- dogs that are overweight or obese
- dogs that have had health issues in the past
- dogs that show signs of aggression or have a history of aggressive behavior
- dogs that show signs of negative reactivity
The best dogs usually show high intelligence, have a friendly disposition, a calm demeanor, and a strong work drive. All dogs are subject to Assessment and Temperament testing by a VSD trainer prior to being accepted into the VSD training program.
All dog donors must be willing to comply with the following:
- Home and care for the dog at donor’s expense until the dog can be placed with a veteran.
- Transport the dog to and from the facility for assessment and for veteran meet and greets to determine team compatibility.
- Re-assume ownership of the dog if it does not bond with or does not meet the needs of the veteran that it is initially paired with.
- Re-assume ownership of the dog if it washes/fails from the program and the veteran is unable to or does not want to keep the dog as a pet.
- Attend classes with the dog to begin service dog training (age dependent).